Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lessons from College

THIS WEEK was my first week of college classes. It's been a lot of fun to figure out the mysteries of the bus system and to pack my own lunch. My classes keep me busy but they aren't too hard, and my friend Sarah is the best room mate I could ask for.

In the process of jumping into the college scene, I have heard God telling me lots of different things through the situations I get into.

First is the importance of uncomfortable shoes. My college campus is enormous, and I live far away from my classes. On Monday I walked around everywhere in comfortable shoes because I hadn't yet figured out how the buses work. I'm grateful that I was able to understand it quickly, however, because I found myself limping around in very uncomfortable shoes a couple days later. I wore them because they are new, and if I don't wear them they will never become comfortable.

Think of the painful black flats as a new and uncomfortable situation. Maybe something is going wrong in life, or maybe God is calling you to do something you aren't used to. It's not fun. But one of the functions of faith is to do what God calls us to, even if it isn't fun at first, believing that He will use it to bless us and others. That's how I feel about my homework sometimes. It's all part of what God calls me to, but it gets hard and tries my patience. And I'm sure you have things like that to deal with in life too. Think of the buses as the presence of God. He knows it hurts, and He is there to pick you up so that your struggle is not overwhelming.

Romans 5:3-5 "[3]And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverence; [4] and perseverence, character; and character, hope. [5] Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, who are the called according to His purpose."

Next is the importance of friends. At the church that Sarah and I visited today, the pastor referred to Acts 2 as he spoke about the nature of fellowship. The early church was a great example.

Acts 2:44-45 "[44] Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, [45] and sold all their possession and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need."

I don't know what I would have done yesterday without my friend Sarah. She drove me to the supplies store for my order without which I couldn't work on my project. Then she carried my big heavy drafting board all the way to the studio on the second floor. Later she and another friend came to get me after I was done in the studio so I wouldn't have to walk to dinner alone in the dark, and she stayed on the phone with me until they found me. I'm grateful for her and for all of my friends.

Because it's so important to have other Christians around us, Sarah and I have been looking for the right church and Christian group. I've been hoping and praying we could be around Christians who care about reaching our campus, because so much good can be done here.

That's actually the last thing I've been learning about. The importance, and power, of prayer. This came to mind a few days ago when I was walking from a class and didn't have anywhere to be for a few hours. I prayed right then that I would meet a friend, because I felt lonely. Not more than two minutes later, I met two friends I had met a few months ago. Later I found a friend from school at a bus stop, another friend at another bus stop, and yet another friend while I waited outside my next class. Through this I could hear God telling me to ask anything in His name, and it would be done.

John 14:13-14 "[13] And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14]If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."

So I asked again that many people would be saved on this campus. I know it's His will, because He wants to give us the kingdom.

On Thursday I went with a few friends to hear Clayton King speak for the Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU). It was a funny and powerful message about the beauty of God's grace, as He looks at our shame and rescues us when we are lost and in need of mercy. This spoke to us particularly because we had gotten lost and were half an hour late. When Mr. King was done speaking, he invited those who wanted the gift of grace to raise their hands in the air. With our eyes closed, we listened with elation and heard him count to ninety-four.

Ninety four. How hard would three thousand be? I know our prayers won't go unanswered. We are dealing with a God who can save anyone despite anything, and who saved ninety-four people in a night this week. There is no limit to what He will do.

I encourage you this week to do the uncomfortable, to be with friends and be a friend, and to pray with shameless confidence. there is so much more in God than we have yet to see, and He is about to do things we have never witnessed before. Have a miraculous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment