Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cover Girl

THIS WEEK I turned 18. Yesterday I spent my birthday surrounded by my wonderful friends and family and getting good wishes from my friends on Facebook.

I am on a very unique threshold in life right now. On Friday this week I'm leaving for college, where I plan to study Architecture and Religion. This Wednesday night was my last night with my youth group, and I know there's something even better waiting for me in Gainesville.

God is about to move at my college, as He is moving all over the world. A magazine came in the mail earlier this week called "The Voice of the Martyrs" which focuses on persecuted Christians all over the world. On the cover the is a young girl from Laos. She wears a green skirt and a striped blouse, and she focuses intently on a Bible that is burned, melted, and stained almost to illegibility.

She is the only Christian where she lives, and her faith remains strong even though others tried to destroy her Bible. On the inside of the cover I read a quote by this girl, "My villagers still hate me and mock me like they mocked Jesus on the cross. It is the world's right to hate us or love us. But for me, I will follow Jesus because I read what He says, that the world will hate you." The magazine is full of stories about people like her, Christians who desire to honor Jesus more than they want anything else.

I hope one day to be half the Christian these people are.

I've been reading "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel, which discusses answers to several big questions about God. One section regarding church history included something I was surprised to learn.

"While most people think of the average Christian today as being a United States resident living far away from any danger for their faith, journalist David Neff set the record straight. 'The typical Christian,' he said, 'lives in a developing country, speaks a non-European language, and exists under the constant threat of persecution - of murder, imprisonment, torture, or rape.'"

I love that picture of the girl in Laos. Most of us are used to seeing girls on the covers of magazines at stores, usually thin with big eyes and low-cut tops and shiny hair. But this girl is a real cover girl. Her faith is uncomplicated and real, and her devotion to Jesus is astounding. She's a hero of mine.

When they realize what some people are going through in the world, many Christians feel bad about how good we have it. What right do I have to sit here and blog in peace when a Christian in China is sentenced to 15 years in prison for publishing an unauthorized Christian magazine? How can I be safe in my home while my sisters and brothers are dying? Is it wrong for me to be comfortable in this life?

I don't think so. We have a responsibility to take care of what God blesses us with. It's not evil for my family to have cars and air conditioning and free speech. But we shouldn't put our comfort above God's calling. We should be wholeheartedly concerned for people who are suffering, and we should take every opportunity to help them. Of course we should be as unashamed of the gospel as those heroes are.

"The Voice of the Martyrs" uses Hebrews 13:3 alot: "Remember the prisoners as if chained with them - those who are mistreated - since you yourselves are the body also." Those of us who aren't suffering that kind of persecution don't necessarily have to go move to Southeast Asia, unless that's where God calls us. We have to serve our God wherever and however He calls us to.

2 Timothy 3:12 "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."

A real Christian reads that verse, gets scared, and does it anyway through the strength Christ gives him.

As I said before, I'm on an important threshold in my life. I'm really excited about going to college because I feel like this is the place God wants me right now. He has given me a dream for my school of about 50,000 people. There's room for an enormous miracle, for thousands to be saved. And I believe something great is about to happen.

And to keep my mind on what's important, on the wall of my room at college I'll keep the poster that "The Voice of the Martyrs" sent to me, showing the countries in the world that are Hostile or Restricted against Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment