Sunday, February 14, 2010

New Hearts / Showing Love

THIS WEEK was interesting. I had ALOT of work at the beginning part of the week until Wednesday, but I pray periodically through this stuff and it tends to go well. :) I had to miss the Youth Group on Wednesday to finish this Latin assignment, but it's over and now I have the day off on Monday.
On Wednesday I finished the 1-year devotional book I have been going through. I had had the book for a while, probably as a Christmas present, and had not been interested for a long time. But I was blessed in going through the book when I did. It has been a useful tool: on days when I knew there was something I really needed to hear, I prayed Jesus would open my heart to the little message and it would turn out to be exactly what I needed, and I'd write my feelings down in colored pencil at the bottom when I was particularly amazed. The book was actually written for elementary-age girls, but I found it quite applicable to my life, and right on time. I only missed a day once, and I still don't know how that happened. But I did 2 the next night.
So when I finished the last story, I asked Jesus, "what now?" because I had been using it so long. Instead, Jesus showed me something amazing. I turned to the publication page and saw many, many names of the writers whose initials appear at the end of the stories. Each one probably had a handful of stories in there. I saw this name I had noticed there before, Carolyn E. Yost. Yost, like the YQL host (with the most). By the way, there's also a Strobel, like "The Case for Christ" Lee Strobel. And I think, what if I flipped through the pages and landed on "CEY" ? Only a few of the 365 stories would have it.
I flipped through from the back like you do with book pages, really fast, and I stopped. I'm looking at 2 stories, right and left. And one of them says "CEY."
The story was about the importance of talking to GOD and how He wants us to spend time with Him. That is the message of the importance of devotionals, or quiet time, however you go about it. Whether you have a book, or a time, or a place, or an activity, it is important. He knows exactly what to say, and He keeps me on track and casts light on what doesn't make sense to me. Just one more way to know He is there - we couldn't figure this stuff out on our own, all these the questions of life and of faith and of good and evil.
I wrote a poem this week about seeing raindrops hanging on trees - they looked like berries made of ice. It was awesome. I like to write poems for Jesus sometimes in my journal.
Today Pastor Russ talked about the importance of having a new heart. In Jesus we are given a new heart, a better, more responsive and loving heart with the capacity for faith (not blind faith, either). We cannot be 'reborn' through putting ourselves among people we agree with, or doing generous things, or finding our 'inner selves.' We only get a new heart when we believe in the gift GOD has given to us as a last chance to come back to Him. We must believe in His Son, who has changed lives and history and the measurement of years (I'll say A.D., whatever they call it), and who takes our sins and bears them for us, and who rose again so that we can live too. Death got schooled. Devil fail, if you know what I mean. We confess our sins to Him, we repent, we reform and make any restitution, and we are forgiven and start an ongoing journey of growth and learning, and it's a blast although it is not always comfortable. It's amazing because it is worthwhile. Once we've been redeemed in this way and begin to live in "newness of life," we can get a new heart. With a new heart, our relationships with other people and with GOD get better and more pleasant, and more worthwhile as well.
There is another thing I wanted to express. I saw on this Christian Facebook page a fellow having a dispute with somebody who was being rather rude about our faith. This guy had pretty much said we chase fairy tales, which we know is not true. Please seriously take a minute before you read on and think about what you might have said to this fellow.

Would you have called him a jerk? Would you have insulted him, and 'told him about himself'? Christians, what are we doing? This Christian responded to the stranger by insulting him and basically proving his point. They were going back and forth rather obnoxiously. I was quite ashamed. It sure will be a miracle (and we've seen, miracles are possible) if that fellow ever meets Jesus now! We've turned him off! For shame! This is why they think we are all bigoted and foolish. This is why the word "Christian" is tied to "intolerance" for many people.
I personally get offended when somebody is being rude about my faith. Jesus is my life and the source of my strength, and I know He is the Truth. I also know that GOD is able to exact revenge, and to change hearts, and that He definitely doesn't need me to defend Him. If I must say something, to straighten out the fellow's ideas about us and our faith in the LORD, I won't prove his point by insulting him, especially a complete stranger. How does that witness? Jesus healed a guy's ear while He was being arrested, and He prayed for His executioners. We don't have to be vengeful and hateful over somebody else's comments and actions, however untrue. We have to show love. Here's a round of verses to illustrate:
Romans 14:10-13, 16 "But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written: "As I live, says the LORD, Every knee will bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to GOD." So then each of us shall give account of himself to GOD. Therefore let us not judge each other anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumblingblock or a cause to fall in our brother's way." "Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil."
Matthew 5:38-41 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels your to go one mile, go with him two."
Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that you be not judged."
1 Corinthians 13:5 "[Love] does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil."
So while I do not need to agree with everyone, nor believe that anybody's opinion is equally valid and true, I do not need to attack people for their offences. I have offences, too. The difference is I've found joy in forgiveness, and the way to share that with other people is to behave like Jesus has changed my life, right down to my heart which He has made new.
I hope and pray for us each to learn to imitate Jesus' character, even when it's risky. Especially when it's risky. GOD does amazing things from the leaps of faith we take, big or small. And hopefully the small ones lead to larger ones.
Thank you for your comments. Feel free to share the miracles and lessons which GOD is showing you this week. I know it's hard to post things sometimes but I think it's possible.

3 comments:

  1. nice job soph! love ya. Uncle Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sad about that guy on facebook. I hope that somehow someone changes his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another wonderful blog post, Sophie. Your insights are very thought-provoking and I was reminded of them often while I've been up here in NY. See you this evening!

    ReplyDelete