Monday, June 18, 2012

Fatherhood

THIS WEEK it's Father's Day, and we're celebrating dads. It's a day that elevates the men above the boys. A day when we remember what it takes to go beyond being the male parent of a child, and be a man who stands tall. Not everybody, especially in America, has a good man for a dad. I've been blessed to have a great one. A great man and dad is one whose life glorifies his Heavenly Father. Nobody else can teach him how to do the job right. A great man reflects the way God is a Father to us. His undying faithfulness to keep His promise, His unchanging love and constant mercy, His firm discipline, His concern for His children's wants and needs. I've been reading about David, whom God called a man after His own heart, who would do all His will. Because he sincerely loved and revered Him, He wanted him to become king in place of Saul, who had repeatedly disobeyed Him. Saul wanted to kill him, and David had more than one chance to take him out. But he didn't, solely out of respect for God. 1 Samuel 24:10 "Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the Lord gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, 'I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord's annointed." David, the anscestor of Jesus, was a great man because he thought it was more important to honor God than to take an opportunity that would give him an advantage. He was brave but respectful. God chose him to be king because he wasn't looking to be a king, but to glorify his King. Not every boy grows up into a man. Many boys grow up into bigger boys, who want to be kings. They run away, or tell lies, or let people down, because nothing is ever quite as important as himself. Men are getting rare. Men know when to be on their faces praying, and when to stand up and turn faith into action. They honor their King above themselves. Any grown-up boy can have a kid, but not every one is man enough to be a father. God is a Father who loves forever and doesn't go away. In John 10:29-30 Jesus says, "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is able tosnatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one." And in John 14:18 He promises, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." God is the model Father, and a great dad like mine tries to be like Him so that when his children see him, they will know what God is like and what it means to honor Him. In faith, love, charity, finances, discipline, every responsibility he has, he strives to be like the Father, and he raises up Christlike children. He puts what we need above what we want, balances fun and discipline, work and home. He puts on a tie and works all day, then homes home and straight away puts on his pajama pants to just be with us. He makes sure we have a good school and a great church. This week he got a tooth pulled, and the very next day he was driving around the city with my Mom helping her with a cake delivery, and today he went shopping for groceries. He does his all of his jobs, and he doesn't let people down. He shows me what God is like, and what kind of man I'll want for myself one day. I'm thankful to the Heavenly Father for giving me a dad like that, who can help me see what He is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment