Sunday, March 4, 2012

Squirrel!

THIS WEEK I'm back home for Spring Break. It's really good to be back. I could use a break. God came through this week just like I told you He would! My test and my project went just fine, and I made it to the weekend.

Today I'm not going to blog for very long. I just thought I'd share with you something fun I saw yesterday.

So I was in my room doing my Bible study with the window blinds up. I was writing in the front of my Bible the names of the verses my friend Debbie gave me, verses to help explain the gospel. They're really good, and I am going to memorize them so I always have them with me.

By the way, those verses if you wanted to know them are: Genesis 1:27, Isaiah 59:2, Romans 5:8, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, John 1:12-13, and Ephesians 2:8-9. Enjoy!

Anyway, I was in the process of writing these down when I saw a squirrel running about on the ground by the fence. Squirrels are always very urgent about doing something, and it usually has something to do with food. Their tiny bodies are just full of rapid movement, and they just won't sit still.

This one was very interested in the pecans which have fallen all over the ground in my backyard. He was noticing all of them and trying to find the best ones. There were plenty of nuts all over, but while I watched he only found two that he liked.

You should have seen him. He would first find a good pecan, and then, as if he was afraid someone would come along and steal it, he would immediately begin to claw at the earth to make a little hole. When the hole was deep enough he would press the nut down with all of his squirrely might and cover it up again. Once the treasure was secure, he would go search for another.

While I watched him I understood that this was exactly what I am supposed to do. It made me think of the verses I was writing down. I realized that I need to treat them, and any other little treasures I find in God's word, the way the squirrel treated the pecans.

We should seek God with urgency, like we will starve if we don't. We need to pass over everything that is not true about Him. And when He reveals Himself to us and teaches us something, we had better hide that truth in our hearts like somebody was coming to steal it away. In fact, Jesus warns us that somebody might try.

In the parable of the seeds and the sower Jesus compared the word of God to a seed. Sometimes it falls by the wayside and birds come and eat it.

In Matthew 13:19 Jesus explains, "When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside."

God's word is a treasure. I feel like that squirrel was God's way of telling me to make sure I really make those verses mine, to equip myself with them, to make sure I don't lose them.

Psalm 119:10-11 "With my whole heart I have sought You; oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You."

Squirrels look for nuts for one reason: food! Survival. Life. Let's treat God's word that way and think about it like Jesus described it: Matthew 4:4 "But He answered and said, 'It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.''"

No comments:

Post a Comment