Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dead Hamsters

THIS WEEK I remember something a teacher of mine used to say. He saw too many people walking around "looking like somebody killed their hamster." Too many sad faces. The truth is there's a lot of sad stuff going on under the wide blue sky. What can we do to put a smile on?

I've had a week of ups and downs. I've had a lot of work to do building my last model for my Design One class, and I'm going to me staying up late tonight finishing my project. But I also had the chance to spend time with my cousin who visited me, and we had a great time. I had to miss my cousin's Christening today, but Thanksgiving is in a few days and I will see my whole family then.

There's a lot of good to celebrate, because God loves to bless us. But troublesome things sometimes block out our view of them. What I've learned is that stress and frustration just lets us learn how to depend on God more, and it reminds us that this is not heaven. If every day were good we would start feeling entitled to convenience. We would take everything for granted and forget our essential need for God. So I'm thankful for occasional long nights when nothing is working and I don't get enough sleep, because in the dark we can see the light more clearly.

Two things are most important to have when you feel like somebody killed your hamster: first, God, and second, godly friends.

God's word is full of instances where He saw the need of someone who called out to Him, and he answered him. He will still do that for us.

Psalm 43:5 says, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God."

We should remember that praise isn't something we give God to tell Him, "Good job giving me everything I want!" Instead praise says, "You are worthy regardless of what happens, and I know You want and will give me what is good for me!" Nothing in life changes who God is, and discomfort doesn't mean He is far away. It's an opportunity to pray and see Him answer, and to praise Him and see your faith rise. Not problem is too big or too small for Him to care for.

He is the "help of our countenance." What does that mean? It means He upholds us, giving us a reason to turn our frowns upside down. It doesn't mean He will answer all our prayers with a Yes, but it does mean that when we praise Him despite trouble, all our reasons to praise will overwhelm our reasons to whimper and complain.

The other important thing to have is godly friends around us to lift us up. Friends must both encourage each other and give constructive criticism. We must embolden each other toward righteousness and call each other out about sin.

I've seen Proverbs 27:17 around a lot lately, "As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." This means that friends help each other succeed, and to see clearly to make good choices. When iron sharpens iron it is an act of love, because if either of those swords tries to go into battle dull, the one using it will probably die.

On Tuesday during one of my late nights in the studio my friend Debbie came while I was away. When I came back I found she had left me an encouraging note and a Mountain Dew that would keep me awake all evening. The note had a reference to 2 Corinthians 12:9, one of my favorites, "[9] And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

My friend didn't even sign her name on the note. She was acting completely unselfishly. And her gift really helped me to make it through that long Tuesday night. I'm reminded that we serve a God who turns things into the opposite of what they seem. So when we're weak we're really strong by His stength. And maybe when we're troubled we're really the most blessed for having a view of our need for God. Maybe when we're thankful despite frustration we really have the most to be thankful for.

I know I'm not going to get through everything this evening without the help of my God and my friends, and I'm thankful for them. So when my plexiglas isn't sticking together and when I have printer trouble at midnight tonight, I will do my best to smile anyway. To laugh and look forward to Thanksgiving. So grab a Bible and a friend this week and take your day by storm. Show the world that the children of God live victoriously in His name, for the glory of His name. Don't walk around like your hamster is dead. Every now and then, look up from the sidewalk and sing a song of praise instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment