Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Testimony

THIS WEEK was really special. I went down to Orlando for my last Latin Forum, the annual convention where Latin-loving students compete in academic and creative contests. That adventure lasted three days. Then I came back to Jacksonville and went to my Senior Prom, which was very memorable and tons of fun.

This morning was particularly special. Earlier this week I was asked to speak at the Parent Brunch before the second church service this Sunday (today). I and a few other seniors would be talking about our high school experiences living for God, responding to two questions:

1. What experiences are you thankful for that have impacted your life during high school?
2. What do you hope to see happening in the Youth Group, and what suggestions do you have?

I am very grateful for the chance to speak for a few minutes this morning. I prayed about it in advance, and I sincerely believe that God led me to what I was supposed to say. I want to share with you my responses to these questions.

First, I am thankful for the Bible Study Club at my school. Early in the school year, I hoped and prayed for the opportunity to read the word in the morning before I start my day, but I didn't have time. God responded by opening a door. I started going to Bible Club, where I'm with people who also want to read God's word before starting the day, where who knows what could happen? Now I go there almost every school day, and it's been a great blessing in my life.

Second, I am thankful that God has made it possible for me to make it through high school. My classes are very hard, and I know I would not have had the emotional capacity to overcome them if it weren't for my Jesus. I couldn't do it alone. He has also given me a strong work ethic that allows me to do these things well. He has helped me to work as unto Him. Now I know that if I do things victoriously in His name, my achievements will be a testimony to the fact that He helps His people and makes things possible for us.

Third, I am thankful for the one experience that was more painful than anything else that has yet happened to me. It was when my former boyfriend decided that it wasn't going to work out. Going through this, I didn't understand why it was happening, and I still don't fully understand. But I kept trusting God that He still held me and had a reason for the pain. It has been hard, and it often still is hard. But it has been a great blessing and a source of many valuable lessons.

It has allowed me to focus on God better. I have more free time and more free space in my mind that I can and do devote to God. My devotion to Him has only grown. I find that is what pain can do in a believer's life. It could wreck our faith if we don't trust Him though it, but if we do our faith will increase.

It has also shown me God's power and willingness to heal us. There was one day months and months ago when I went to Engage the Spirit, a monthly mid-week service devoted to awesome worship and seeking God. I went there needing to scream. When I left, I wasn't okay, but I knew I would be. And now, by God's grace, I am.

Finally, it gave me a better appreciation for a relationship with God that doesn't end or change. I cannot express how grateful I am that we never have to do anything to make sure He still loves us. I am amazed and thankful that His love for us is unchanging and eternal. There is no relationship we can ever have that matters more than our relationship with God, because it is the only relationship that literally lasts longer than our lives. With Him, forever is truly forever.

Having learned all this, if there is one thing I suggest from the young people in my youth group, and at my high school, and truly everywhere. Don't wait until you're older. When I was about ten, I had a number in my head: 17. That was the age when I could start thinking about my spiritual state. Until then, I thought, I don't need to worry about it. Fortunately, that didn't work out. I felt that violent pull on my heart saying that I wasn't where I needed to be. I'm seventeen now, and I've been saved for 5 years. I'm glad I didn't wait. I couldn't imagine now what life would be like without Him. He is my everything. He is my breath. So whatever your age, and especially if you are young, chase after Him today before too much time is spent in vain. He wants to do amazing things in our lives today, not just tomorrow.

When I was speaking, I read this passage and told all the students to write the reference down.

1 Timothy 4:12-13. "[12] Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in faith, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. [13] Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."

I am grateful for the opportunity to share my testimony. As the amazing preacher Ron Lewis says, God turns our tests into testimonies. I hope your testimony is an inspiration to you and those around you. God is doing awesome things.

No comments:

Post a Comment