Sunday, March 13, 2011

David Defeats Goliath

THIS WEEK I was reading the story of David and Goliath in 1 Samuel 17. My Bible study group had read it on Moday morning, and on Monday afternoon I was reviewing it again. Do you know that story? A young man named David stood up against the champion of the Philistine army because he mocked the armies of God, the Israelites. Goliath was a giant and a warrior, and David was only a little shepherd boy who was good with a sling. He stood up against Goliath when nobody else would because he loved God, and the giant dishonored Him.

David came armed with a sling and a bag of stones, and no armor, since the armor available did not fit. He was a funny sight. When Goliath was finished with his merciless mocking, David replied with boldness, demonstrating that his confidence was not in his own skill or strength but in God. While you read his words, try to imagine the powerful phrases coming from the mouth of a little shepherd boy with only a sling and a bag.

v. 46-47 "[46] This day the Lord will devliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. [47] Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord's, and He will give you into our hands."

Do you see the power in these words? Only David among all the Israelites was bold enough to oppose Goliath. David was only able to stand up with such boldness because he knew God was on his side. The result was that he defeated Goliath with one shot, and the Israelites were victorious over the entire Philistine army after he fell.

v. 49 "Then David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone; and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth."

Did you know that this story is still relevant today? Anywhere that there is an obstacle and a person (or group) with enough faith to believe God is stronger than the obstacle, there is another David and Goliath. We can tell this story to remind each other that nothing is insurmountable to God.

Immediately after I finished my Bible study, I got the chance to share this encouraging story. My friend Katie called asking me for verses to help her friend Mary prepare for a speech at her church. She needed verses about bullying, and here I was with David and Goliath open in front of me. So I was blessed with the opportunity to share this reference as well as another reference about dealing with enemies.

But I also got another chance to apply this to my life this week. On Thursday I had a very important Calculus test that I needed to do well on, and I was nervous. I studied until about 1 AM on Wednesday night. But I resolved to work at Calculus "as unto the Lord," (Colossians 3:23-24) and I claimed God's promise that He is able to make us victorious over our obstacles. It also helped that my friend Jenny White texted me her prayer for me over this test, making reference to Isaiah 26:3.

Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind in stayed on You, because he trusts in You." This means that when we trust in God, He honors our faith and gives us peace regardless of our circumstances.

So I went in to take that test, my Goliath. I had one chance, one throw of a stone, to defeat it. But I trusted that no assignment would be able to bring me to destruction as long as my trust is in God, and I had peace in my heart because I trusted Him. I think the test went very well.

This promise is true for all of us. God is true, and He promises truly. When we claim the things He has promised in His word, our faith will never be misplaced and we will not be disappointed.

Proverbs 30:5, "Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him." From this we learn that His promises are true and that it is worthwhile to trust Him. He always comes through and He is strong enough for anything.

As He was there for David, whom he even made into an anscestor of Jesus Christ, He will be there for anybody who trusts in Him. And when He gives us the victory, even if it doesn't look like a victory from where we stand, it is the least we can do to praise Him for it. Let's remember that the death of Jesus looked like an enormous defeat - how the demons must have cackled! - at least until He rose up again on the third day. God doesn't lose.

I'm praising Him that I'm so quickly approaching my goal in raising money for my mission trip to Peru in June. My friend Jade is praising Him that she is receiving a $32,000 scholarship from the University of Florida, which means she's going to school with me. He is moving everywhere and demonstrating His power, pouring blessings on the lives of those who trust Him.

What are you praising Him for right now? It may be a big turning point in your life, or it may be the light of another day. He is worthy to be praised in all seasons, and the substance of true faith - which He honors and rewards greatly - is to trust Him even when it is hard.

Now, we don't always get what we want. But we do always get what God wants, when we put our trust in Him instead of in ourselves. Let's pray that His will will be done, and that we will hear Him when He calls, so that when He says to stand up and face our giants we will be willing to obey Him. It doesn't matter whether we are strong enough. We probably wont be. But God is. God loves showing His trustworthiness and strength by using the weak to accomplish His purposes.

Paul wrote of Jesus in 2 Corinthians 12:9, "And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

No comments:

Post a Comment