Sunday, January 30, 2011

God Provides

THIS WEEK has been delightful and encouraging. You might remember that last week I mentioned that I had attended an informational class about a mission trip to Peru that some of the youth at Southpoint Community Church are going on in June. The decision to go took a lot of prayer and thought.

A few months ago I was praying about whether I should go on a mission trip. Before long I learned about this trip to Peru, and I continued to pray about it. I didn't want to jump into it too quickly, because I only want to go there if God wants me to. But as I continued to pray about it, I didn't hear a 'no.' And when the sign-up clip-board came around at Youth Group service a few weeks ago, I just couldn't pass it on without putting my name down.

Still I've been praying to be sure it's where I'm supposed to be, because it wouldn't be good for a person to go on a mission trip if God prefers for him to be working somewhere else. Nor would it be good for a person to ignore His call and stay where she is if He prefers for her to go. But this week I've observed that God is blessing my efforts to be able to go on this trip in June, and it is very encouraging.

One of the most important things I learned at last week's meeting is that asking people for money to support this trip to Peru is not begging, but it is sharing in the opportunity that I'm already excited about. When we are trying to raise money for the trip, we might get nervous to ask because we are afraid to look like beggars, but with God's favor making it possible and with strong faith making us bold, we can be brave enough to ask anyway, to share the opportunity. We're going to Peru to help people in Jesus' name, to share the gospel, and to glorify God. This is something to really get excited about!

So on Monday, the day after that meeting, I sat up with courage on the side rail of the gazebo where I eat lunch with my friends, and I told everybody that I need help raising support for a mission trip to Peru in June. Instead of ignoring me, they showed interest. Now I have several friends who are promising to try to help me, and I left lunch that day having recieved my first dollar from my friend Sierra. The next day I raised $14 dollars more. A few days later one of my instructors promised to donate $100, and I think that more is coming during this week! If you would like to contribute, please feel free to send me an email to let me know! My email address is on the right side of the page.

In this middle of the week I was encouraged by Romans 8:28. "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

I am encouraged because God is responding to my faith that He will provide the money by providing the money! I am encouraged because I love knowing that we are the called according to His purpose! The success of this week assures me that He wants me to go because when He calls us to do things, He then provides what we need to do those things.

I am certain and confident that before this trip, I will have raised at least the $1700 that I need. I also have faith in God that He will provide for the rest of my team as well. And I know that I and all of the others in my group will be surrounded by the prayers of our friends and family. We need prayer just as much as funds. Meanwhile I pray that we all can be filled with faith in God, because He always comes through on His promises.

Ephesians 3:20-21 says "[20] Now to Him who is able to provide exeedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, [21] to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment