Friday, November 19, 2010

A Special Story

THIS WEEK I'm posting a Bonus Post like I said I would, because I just didn't have time on Sunday to tell you this amazing story I heard last week. Today is Friday, and I'm going to blog again this Sunday of course. But I just couldn't neglect to tell you what I heard from my friend Arun (uh - ROON) at Bible Study. It's a story that won't take long to tell, but which will likely stay with you for a while. It's a testimony of the amazing way the Holy Spirit can work.

Arun heard this story from a pastor who had come from India to visit his church. It occurred in India. It was about 1:00 AM, and suddenly the pastor heard the Holy Spirit tell him to wake up. Because it was very late and he was very sleepy, he was hesitant to obey. but the Spirit insisted. When the pastor had sat up in bed he heard Him say to go look out his window. So he did.

When he looked out his window he saw someone practicing witchcraft there, trying to curse him. So upon the command of the Holy Spirit the pastor proceeded to pray for four hours, from 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM.

Not long after this occurred, the Holy Spirit did something that truly amazed me. He gave the pastor the address of the man who had been outside his window! When the pastor went to this address, he found out that the evil man had died. I don't know how he died, or when exactly, but he died.

What amazed me about this story was how present the Holy Spirit is in the life of that pastor, how clearly he hears Him. He is not shy about guiding His followers and telling us where He wants us to go and what He wants us to do. I think the reason some people, like the pastor, hear Him more clearly than others do is not because they have "more Jesus" than others people, but because of the degree to which they have committed themselves to serving Him, and the extent of their submission to His will.

This story reminds me of the Bible, especially the book of Acts, when we see the Holy Spirit doing so many unexpected things and guiding the servants of God. It's the same amazing Spirit of God working in the lives of Christians. He is present both in big events and small tasks, no matter who we are, because we are His people whom He chose.

I'm just so glad God gave us Christians His Spirit to keep Him close to our lives and to keep us within His will. I pray that we will all hear Him and that our hearts will be willing to obey, not insisting on our own agendas and 'putting words in His mouth,' so to speak, but obeying what He really says. I hope and pray that our hearts' greater desire would be for His kingdom and His righteousness. Astounding things can happen when we obey.

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." -Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment