Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dan Wooly Survives the Haiti Earthquake

THIS WEEK I heard about a wonderful miracle, and you know what that means. I'm gonna tell you about it, so read it and then we'll give God the glory.
My TOK instructor Mrs. Hall told the class about something awesome that has happened to her family. Her niece's husband Dan Wooly was in Haiti working with Compassion International at the time of the earthquake, and for two days they had no idea what had happened to him. Trying to track him down, they learned that he had just gotten into the hotel when the earthquake happened! So that wasn't good news. They found Dan near an elevator in the hotel after he had been trapped for 65 hours. How he survived is rather amazing.
The Lord supplied Dan with a camera, an iPhone and a notebook. He lives in California, so he knows about aftershock and that he has to get to a safe place before that happens. But he realized his foot was stuck. The only way he could get to a safer place was by wrenching his foot out, doing painful damage to his leg. He then used his camera to find out how bad his injuries were: he was bleeding on the back of his head and had a gash in his poor leg. So he used a medical application on his iPhone to look up how to take care of his wounds! He patched his leg up with his shirt and his head with his sock. He also found out that he needed to set an alarm on his iPhone to go off every 20 minutes to keep himself from slipping into a coma. He remained trapped in there for those 65 hours writing notes to his family in his journal in case they didn't find him in time. Meanwhile his poor wife is scared to death back at home.
Dan had several people near him, and he had the chance to talk to them a bit about his faith in the Lord. Sure enough, some French volunteers got to him and have resored him to his family - alive!
Dan has been having surgery done on his badly injured leg.
Wow, what a miracle! And you know there are miracle stories happening in Haiti right now, every time somebody has survived. The Lord is very glorious, and He still works amazing miracles in people's lives. Hallelujah.
You can see a video of Dan Wooly talking about his story on Google if you look up his name with 'iPhone.'
Another amazing thing happening to me personally this week is my first meeting with my Life Group! With a few of the same girls who were at that slumber party I told you about, we're going through "The Purple Book" by Rice Broocks and Steve Murrell and talking to each other about it. I'm very excited about this new way the Lord is working in my life: He's led me to friends who are already like my sisters, because we are sisters in Christ. They want to do things together and pray together and support each other. Jesus is my best friend, and yet I don't think I've ever had many earthbound friends quite like these ones, and I'm very excited.
I'll close with an image Pastor Russ illustrated for us today. The process of God taking us to new and unfamiliar places is like a trapeze. First you're scared to grab the bar, but when you finally do you realize you survive. And you do it again and again, and it's exciting to be able to do it. But after a while you want to try something else, and God tells you to try jumping to the next bar. You can't do that without letting go of the first for a second, and even if you can grab it you can't hold onto both or you are in a very awkward situation. Pastor Russ encourages not to be afraid of the unfamiliar, for God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and self-control (2 Timothy 1:7). I don't know what you guys are dealing with, but I know that God keeps calling us to new things, and He only does it to make us live up to our potential, to strengthen our faith and to teach us new things. Maybe His leading me to these girls is something like that; it's new and it's an opportunity for alot of edification. But whatever it is He'll be calling me to make the jump to, I pray for the boldness to take the jump once I see it. The same I pray for you all. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Sophie. The verse you mentioned is my favorite. Love you!

    ReplyDelete