Friday, December 18, 2009

My first entry - Hello!

THIS WEEK I have alot to tell you.
Last Saturday I went to my Youth Group's Christmas party, and I realized how much I love those people. I only met them a month and a half ago since I've been going to Southpoint Community Christian Church, and they've made me feel so welcome. It's like I have thirty new family members.
I am grateful to the Lord that He has led my family to this new church, where He gives Pastor Russ such relevant, useful words to say. He's been doing a series pertaining to "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens (This is on my recommended books list! I was reading it just as he started this series.). Last week was the sermon on how our past experiences mess with us for a long time, and how they weigh on our mentalities. This week was about the present - how there is no time like it. We need to start being the Christians God is calling us to be, right now, because tomorrow is too late for somebody in the world, and procrastination is the best way to get absolutely nothing done.
On the way home from the Christmas party, I had heard a song called "A City on our Knees" by Tobymac. Look this song up. It is about getting started right now in reaching the world.
It starts "If we gotta start somewhere why not here? If we gotta start somewhere why not now?" And it's very catchy.
What gets me is that this song comes into my life right before Pastor Russ was talking about the present. I don't believe in coincidences!
On Wednesday I met with my youth group, and youth pastor Ryan referred to Daniel chapter three. King Nabuchanezzar (NEB-oo-kad-NEZ-arr) built a golden idol and forced everybody to bow to it. But three of the Jews would not, so he tossed them in a fire, and they were not burned. They were not burned! Read it.
Pastor Ryan told us about how we need to keep from bowing the the idols in the world around us, which may include the temptation to want acceptance, to try a destructive habit, or really to bow to any temptation. In short, to disobey a commandment. So we all prayed, promising not to bow to anyone or anything that will separate us from our God, who is the only One we should be bowing to.
So I'm all fired up and stuff. I am very grateful for a copy of the Word, and for a wonderful, musical church full of love and purpose, and for opportunities to use my talents for something worthwhile. I am grateful that I'm in on the greatest thing that ever happened to humanity.
Anyway, the push I've got from this call to act in the present, and to live a faithful servant in the now, makes me want to start a blog now. I've been thinking about it, and now I'm doing it. I'm recommending books to you, and telling you about all the things that my amazing God is amazing me with this week, and I'm not even done!
Come to think of it, I can't be done. Just come look again soon to see what else I've got to share with you. Please give me suggestions, if you have them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm really excited to read what God teaches you in the coming weeks. (: I'm glad you have a blog. (:

    ReplyDelete